Your six-month dental cleanings are vital to maintaining your oral health. However, many patients experience anxiety at the thought of a dental checkup and appreciate being informed of the process of their visit in advance. Below, we offer a step-by-step process of the important moments of a dental cleaning and how they impact your oral health.
1. Receiving dental X-Rays: The first step of your cleaning may be to take dental X-rays of your full teeth, gums and underlying bone to screen for any dental problems that need to be addressed.
2. Deep cleaning your teeth: Our dental hygienist can use a special tool to remove substances such as plaque from your teeth to keep your teeth safe from issues such as tooth decay and gum disease.
3. Polishing your teeth: Following the cleaning process, we polish your teeth to help them shine and look more aesthetic.
4. Flossing your teeth: We will perform a thorough flossing of your teeth to remove any plaque lingering in hard-to-reach places such as between teeth or around braces or a permanent retainer. A thorough flossing helps prevent dental issues that could otherwise result in cavities and gum disease.
5. Applying a fluoride treatment: You have the option of receiving fluoride treatment at the end of your dental checkup to improve weakened tooth enamel. Fluoride may be applied as a gel, foam or varnish and remain on your teeth for several minutes so that it can saturate the tooth enamel.
You are welcome to contact Rob Holdridge, DMD & Associates at 630-668-3423 today for a dental cleanings in Wheaton, Illinois, on behalf of our dentist, Dr. Rob Holdridge, and friendly dental team.